White. Beige. Sand. Natural. Cream. Plain vanilla.
No, this is not a post about Richie Benaud's choice of jacket colour over the last 70 years but rather my husband and my taste and/or house interior pallet over the past 10 years....and perhaps people's first impression of our personalities if they took a peek inside our house.
For some funny reason, (the rare times) when the house is clean and tidy, I seem to feel super relaxed and happy as previously discussed here and here and so for many years I think I mistakenly believed that incorporating colour and displaying treasures around the house would make things feel (and my thoughts more) busy and cluttered. Consequently, our walls are burlap beige and the skirting boards are white. Our sofa is “sand” and the cushions and pendant lamps are “natural”… with teal highlights (this was a major first step in the beige recovery process).
I grew up in a busy house of 5 children with well travelled and “souvenir happy” parents. When I was young, my parent’s worked in the area of aid for developing countries which led Dad to frequently travel to neighboring pacific islands and a posting to Indonesia for a few years. As a result, my memories of our family home is an eclectic mix of collected souvenirs of batik table cloths, Wayang puppet dolls, pacific island woven baskets and my parent’s personal treasured items of Persian rugs, Van Gough prints, Danish dinner settings and furniture.
Amazingly, my parents even found ways of incorporating all of these aspects all together - in one spot - to be enjoyed all at once. For instance, a typical celebratory dinner (for a birthday or Christmas) would involve the use of the very best batik tablecloth, cork placemats with Van Gough prints on them, Danish dinner setting and pacific islander hand woven serviette rings to hold matching batik serviettes. Totally random and perhaps an uber cool interior stylist/designer’s worst nightmare - but we all loved it.
I scoured through numerous batik covered photo albums at my parent's house and couldn't find a single photo of one of these events to share with you but had to smile when I saw all of Dad's 'life admin' laid out on the dinning table on top of what was once the best batik table cloth once reserved only for said special dinners.
My husband on the other hand, grew up on the Gold Coast circa 1980 -1993’s. As a result, when we go shopping, I still occasionally have to steer him away from life size porcelain black panthers, zebra rugs, gargantuan marble chess tables and very shinny black topack furniture.
My husband has a natural urge to rush to the closest home centre full of mass produced items to buy things that are big and bold, expensive, fashionable and OTT. I have an inherent desire to slowly build a collection of personally selected items from our travels that tell a story or invoke a special memory and welcome gifts from people we love of items that become precious heirloom treasures. Can you imagine these two worlds colliding?! Scary, no? Can you then blame us for implementing the safe display home-esque approach to interior decorating in our own home?
So you see, both having survived a childhood raised by parents with hoarding tendencies and a special and unique flair for nic nac displaying, it once felt so nice to come home to a house that felt more like a tidy and minimalist looking holiday apartment. But more recently we feel more at ease to acknowledge and embrace the influences of our upbringing and live in a house that feels more like a home where real people live.
So despite the significant challenge, we are somehow managing to successfully (and tastefully) incorporate both of our inherited tastes and influences in our new home. In one corner of our house, we have a display cabinet which boasts my husband’s small (and oh so garish…but tolerable… just) collection of Rosenthal - Versace Medusa items and in another corner …well more accurately, outside (on my husband’s insistence)on our deck sits 40 year old Tasmanian oak Danish style lounge chairs that once belonged to my parents.
What made me ponder of all of this was seeing my family house up for sale…and looking nothing like I remember….the orange and brown kitchen (it was the 70s and 80s) is now white. The brown lyno floors in the family room are now replaced with a grey marble look tile. My sister’s green room is now white. My pink room is now white. My brother’s yellow room is now white. There is no hillshoist or strawberry patch in the backyard – just big patches of frost bitten grass. As you may be able to tell, it made me feel nostalgic and a little sad because there was nothing beige or white about the home I grew up in… or the people in it….fortunately my parents keep everything so I still have plenty of mementos of the home I remember.
In the midsts of my spring cleaning this week I have come to realise that clutter can be good and that I am totally grateful for a busy, mostly messy, always interesting family home that encouraged an interest and openness to other cultures, art, books and expressions of individualisim. A house filled with things that opened my mind and my heart and made me ask questions, think creatively, showed me that it is ok to be an individual and to share the things you love with others…
So thanks Mum and Dad (and thanks to my in-laws too) for helping us to seek out a cure for being beige and to embrace our upbringing so Amelie can learn from her surroundings and be encouraged to develop very non-beige interests all of her own...and if she chooses to like beige or white or cream etc etc...well that's ok too.
Linking up with other wonderful grateful stories with Maxabella Loves.
What sort of home did you grow up in? How has it influenced you?
Friday, October 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













i love those two houses next to each other - so totally different. And I know what you mean - I have a memory like an elephant and when I see things from home (like there's the same distinctive, highly patterend old fashioned carpet in one of the older uni buildings as we have in our house at home) - it just brings back such strong memories. i like it! i'm new to your blog but boy it's gorgeous. x
ReplyDeleteGreat post..it has really made me think about how I was brought up. I think my parents were beige parents with eclectic extras around the place. I think my decorating style is much the same with an added interest in the '50's and '30's styles which happen to coincide with the eras my parents and grandparents were setting up their houses in. Very interesting.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the fabric house and dolls and even more so that you have been able to pass them on.
ReplyDeletewe have a beige situation that we are trying to address here too, I would hate to think people see me as being as beige as my home!
had to laugh at you steering you husband past the life sized panthers lol!! Love the dolls houses as neighbours! We had a lot of balinese wooden statues in our house.. not sure why my parents are both english but my dad was in the navy so I think our house was really influenced by that places hed been to.
ReplyDelete:) found your blog on the grateful list this week. What a great post! I hope you have lots of fun as you put both of your styles together!~
ReplyDeleteIt's wonderful that you are recognising your affliction and taking steps towards recovery!!!
ReplyDeleteI grew up in a house full of clutter, nic nacs and mishmashed stuff. I swore I wouldn't let my home be the same. I'm Miss Matchy Matchy and love colour coordinating absolutely everything - right down to clothes pegs and tissue boxes.
:-)
That last shot is fabulous. What a wonderful background you came from...mine is pretty dull by comparison. My maternal family are very centred on self-image so I grew up in a household where everything had its place and presentation was paramount. I'd like to think I'm not like that but nurture has had its way over nature and I find myself agonizing over stupid things in my house!
ReplyDeleteDelighted to have found your blog!
:o) x
I found you via Maxabella Loves and see our daughters share the name Amelie :)
ReplyDeleteHappy to have found you.
Kate
x
A home needs lots of little bits of everyone to be a real home and not a display home. I love the hoarders, embrace the colour-crazies and just adore the kind of people who buy those panthers. My ma is all of the above and I spent years squashing down my inner 'collector'... but she got free in the end. x
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how your parents really define what you end up wanting your house to look like when you grow up!
ReplyDeleteMy dad was a minimalist, & we grew up in a house that REALLY needed a woman's touch.
As a result, I LOVE to decorate my own home, add fresh flowers weekly, display photos etc. etc.
Enjoy the decoration process ahead of you :)