Saturday, February 26, 2011

Question: How long does it take to transform a flower piñata?















Answer: The entire 6th season of SATC (20 episodes and 5 discs)!

By now you would have figured out that the theme of Amelie's 2nd birthday party was the blue marimekkoo unikko flower so when I stumbled across this pink flower piñata in a $2 shop (for local readers, Sam's Warehouse - for $15 - they have a huge range as does Spotlight) about a month before the party I got a bit excited. In the same shop I purchased a couple of bundles of sheets of light blue and navy blue tissue paper, some black art paint, some craft glue and set to work.

Then each weekend when Amelie was having her midday nap I would pop on a SATC DVD (thank you Leah who lend them to me over 2 years ago to watch for the 4 weeks I was on maternity leave before having Amelie...must return them to you), prepare myself a cup of tea and set to work plucking the poor pink pinata with unbridled enthusiasm as if I were Ma from Little House on the Prairie preparing a Thanks Giving Turkey before shredding copious amounts of blue tissue paper to give the new flower a new (temporary) life as a blue unikko marimekko poppy. The end result was a bit rough and organic looking but I was happy with it.

Unfortunately this tale has a sad ending (or happy ending if you are thinking from the perspective of the pinata). I hid the flower pinata in the guest room so little hands couldn't undo all my hard work before the party and then, in all the excitement and lead up to festivities, promptly forgot all about it. So Amelie's little Kindy friends or her other little friends (at party number two) didn't get to enjoy any marimekko flower inspired pinata fun.


Sigh...never mind....the preparations for the party are all part of the fun...there was also something strangely therapeutic about plucking an oversized flower... am now saving it for a rainy day at Kindy for Amelie and her friends to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So sweet of you to leave a comment. Thank you xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...