Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Fairy Good Idea

A few weeks ago I wrote about my friend the Shabby Chic Fairy finding me a lovely replacement for my old ratty nightie and then later putting the fabric from that favourite old shabby roses nightie to good use to create a clippie holder for Amelie. I'm glad to report that in a surprisingly short time frame, the Shabby Chic Fairy has struck again, this time in the form of a fairy good idea.

I still had heaps of fabric left over after making Amelie's clippie holder and still couldn't bring myself to throw away what remained of that beautiful shabby rose nightie so I set to Google "what to make with 'spandex/polyester blend"...the result...erm...nothing.

...Then.... Amelie ran past me with her ratty looking fairy wings on."They look a bit shabby" I thought...and then...(enter shabby chic fairy to plant brilliant idea - ding!). Here's the result!

Amelie absolutely loves her new fairy wings and so do I.

Savvy Chic: The Art of More for Less".

P.S. Some bloggers call this type of project 'up cycling' (making something new and completely different out of something old) but I will be labeling all future projects and/or ideas of this nature 'Savvy Chic' after a book by Anna Johnson titled "

Harper Collins Publishers Australia describes this book as "...illuminating the path to smarter, more creative spending for every woman trying to cut corners and save money, but who still wants to live and look fabulous." Love it! A much better label then the alternative options I came up with "Thrifty Thursday" and "Cheap for Tuesday"...both of which sound...well...cheap...and would have meant that I would have had to have come up with all my brilliant ideas on Tuesdays or Thursdays...and that would never happen - I reserve all grey matter powers of good for work on those days so 'Savvy Chic' it is!

Stay tuned for more savvy chic ideas!
You could also make some interesting fairy wings with some of the fancy and fashionable stockings that are now in stores for (southern hemisphere) winter - e.g. using some pink fishnet stockings or perhaps a beige fishnet stocking with vintage doilies sewn on for a particularly shabby chic look or you could use the traditional black fishnet stockings if you wanted to create cute 'bat wings' for a Halloween Costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So sweet of you to leave a comment. Thank you xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...