Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pretty As a Picture: How to Make a Framed Chalk Board

We have almost finished Amelie's cubby house with only another coat of paint for the door, planter boxes and deck to go. With the outside almost done, I started thinking about some interior decorating.

I wanted Daddy to put in walls that we could paint or wallpaper (using some left over wall paper from Amelie's room) and suggested we try and find a plastic chandelier to hang from the cubby ceiling but I think he had reached his limit of 'handy-man willingness' to please...and the look he gave me when I mentioned chandelier suggested he thought I was going a bit overboard.

We had some left over chalk-board paint and so Daddy suggested he paint some Medium Density Fibre Board (MDF) to nail to one of the walls in the cubby to make a chalkboard. I suggested that framing the board would look a lot neater (I used the word 'neater' deliberately but I actually meant 'cuter').


If you're one of these lucky people like Rachel Ashwell (of Shabby Chic fame) and my Mum that can stumble upon treasures at markets, estate auctions and garage sales, then I would recommend trying to find a vintage or character filled ornate frame for this project.... Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky and so I bought this one on special from Target.
We removed the insert so that we could measure and replace with plain MDF in the same size.
At this early stage of the project, we were lucky to enjoy some 'half time entertainment' from Amelie who had choreographed a new dance move..."Look Mummy, Daddy! I do THIS! I doing ballet!..This tricky." After a round of applause and an encore performance, we returned to the project at hand...
We (I say "we" but my husband actually did this project...I thought I should mention this so you don't think I have manly hands and hairy arms as seen in the photos) measured the inside of the frame and purchased 3mm thick 600x900mm MDF board from our local hardware store for $3.35.
We measured and marked the MDF so that it would fit inside the frame.

  
..and then cut the MDF board to size....at this point, I suggested the sawing activity be moved outside.
We painted 2 coats of a primer. You could also use a magnetic paint as a primer so that you had both chalkboard and magnetic board.
And 2 coats of chalkboard paint, allowing a few hours of drying time in between coats.
Allow a few more hours for the paint to dry before inserting the board in the frame.

The frame already had hooks for hanging. I would suggest using strong hooks such as these if you are to hang the frame to ensure the frame is secure. 
In the morning the chalkboard was well and truly dry and ready for some fun chalk action!

Once the cubby is finished, we'll hang the frame inside so that Amelie and her little friends can draw as they play house.
Some other variations and ideas for this project...

  • Coloured chalkboard - you can buy or make different coloured chalkboard paint. I wanted to make a pink chalkboard but since we already had left over traditional chalkboard paint got vetoed. 
  • Magnetic chalkboard - you can use magnetic paint as a primer so that your chalkboard is also magnetic - great for using those magnetic letters and numbers.  
  • Art easel - if you're not keen on hanging the frame to a wall, place the chalk board on a short artist's easel  so that it can be moved from room to room or even used outdoors. Nail a large bulldog clip to the top of the frame so that you can clip a large sheet of paper to the board to be used as a support board for painting/drawing
  • Smaller frames - you could use a smaller (photo) frame such as a 5x7 or 8x10 to create a smaller, portable chalkboard for your little one - a chalkboard that size would be great to take in the car or out to restaurants to keep the kids occupied. I picked up a similar 8x10 ornate frame to this one at Big W for $9. This would also make a cute gift or party favour. 
  • Decorate the frame - You could buy or make a plain wooden frame and decorate with painted wooden letters to spell out your child's name or any other painted wooden decorations - such as cars for little boys or flowers, butterflies or fabric yo-yos for little girls. 
  • Play room - A framed chalkboard would be a great addition to any playroom.

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea! It's looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just fabulous, Teresa. Thanks for sharing. I had no idea Target and Big W sold such frames. A-hunting I will go! J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks awesome. I recently posting about some projects I was hopinh yo get onto and one was a pretty framed chalkboard for our kitchen - I am hoping my local Target has a similar frame as my hunts at second hand shops haven't found any pretty frames yet either :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies, before you pop off to Target, I should warn you that the larger frame was originally $83 (yikes!) but I was lucky enough to get it for half price on sale - hopefully with the mid season sales they'll reduce the price again.

    Thanks for stopping by! T x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to do this it looks great. I think it would be good in the kitchen to write my weekly menu on. Target is the best for homewares isnt it I've found so many great things from there and waiting for the sales even better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, what a great idea!! love it!! I have just discovered you via Wordless Wednesday, so glad I did - what a beautiful place you have here. I'm loving this chalk board and putting on my list of crafty things to do - I have just the frame for it : ) Alison x

    ReplyDelete

So sweet of you to leave a comment. Thank you xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...