Saturday, October 8, 2011

Ten Things

One of my favourite bloggers, the lovely Peggy from Cake Crumbs and Beach Sand has tagged me in 10 things you needn't know about me. Talk about pressure and writers block! Well here we go..

1. I was named after a Spanish Saint, Teresa De Avila. Our names are pronounced “Tuh – RAY – suh” (most people pronounce it Tuh-REE-suh) I answer to both and never correct people. I have numerous nick names. My entire family (except my Dad) and friends that have known me for more than 10 years call me “Cha” (long story, I’m sure I’ll post about it one day). My husband and friends that I’ve made in the last 10 years call me “T”. My Dad calls me “Raca”. My work mates and clients call me “Teresa”, my friends' children call me “Mrs [insert last name] or Aunty T” but best of all Amelie calls me “Mummy” or “Mum!”

2. I was born in Canberra (brrr!...and that’s all I have to say about Canberra…that is also about all there is to do there…except visit awesome family members), lived in Jakarta, Indonesia for 2 years, moved to Brisbane when I was 10 and have lived here happily ever after.

3. I literally fell into Law. I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to do when I left school. While I would consider myself a creative person, I never thought to pursue any creative interests as a career and have always wanted to reserve those things purely for enjoyment.

I selected Commerce with a triple major in Law, Politics and Public Policy and at the very last minute changed my selection to a double degree in Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Commerce. I didn’t expect to get in to Law, but I did. I didn’t enjoy the course until the 4th year but still wasn’t interested in becoming a lawyer when I finished. While my friends went off to do summer clerkships in private practice over the summer break, I went off on a 12week trip around Europe with my best friend (one of the best things I ever did).

After finishing uni, I worked in risk and compliance management for 6 years and so I could stay in an industry I loved doing work I enjoyed, became a lawyer. I love my job, the industry I work in and most especially the people in it.

4. I love to (well obviously) blog (wish I discovered it years ago!), sew and dabble in other crafty ventures like crocheting. I thought I was a freaky 80 year old living in a 30 something body until I discovered blogging and found that there has been a bit of a ‘craft revolution’. I also love running and ballet but am not particularly good at either. I’ve run a marathon once and hope one day to run another one. I’ve recently bought new running shoes and am remaining optimistic.

5. I talk. A lot. Even thought I am a huge talker, I am actually the quiet one out of my mum and two sisters. My husband is particularly quiet. I thought my incessant talking and taking carriage of conversations bothered him, especially with his family, but once while visiting his grandparents I decided I would say very little (this was very hard) and afterwards he told me to “never do that again!”We work well together like that. Incidentally, all of the women in my family are married to quiet men. Hmmm.

6. In addition to point 5, I have an internal dialogue that never shuts up.

Are we there yet?!

7. I never*complain to service providers, although I have twice* in the last month because I think I am becoming less tolerant and patient the older I get.

Most recently was to the security lady at the airport who chose to ‘randomly’ test me for explosives which infuriated me because it is the first time my husband has ever suggested we collect him from the airport, he had been away 2 weeks and we missed him terribly, I had left with plenty of time to get there and to get through security, I had deliberately left my handbag in the car to speed up going through security and all I had on me was my car keys, my phone and my two year old. As she was putting waving her little explosive testy wand thing over my car keys and phone (??), the phone rang and it was my husband asking where we were. My vision of having Amelie run, arms out stretched to greet her Daddy was ruined. We went up the escalator and directly down them again to meet him at the luggage collection. Hmpf! Needless to say I felt bad afterwards; she was just doing her job and me getting cranky only made me feel worse.

8. My last meal would be fresh water barramundi from far north Queensland, something fresh and light as a side like a salad but not a ‘just for decoration/nothing salad’ it would have to be the most delicious, fresh salad available with feta cheese served with a crisp dry white Australian or NZ wine followed by a light lemony tart.

I’m starting to bore myself now, so well done for hanging in there!

9. I can do the splits.

10. I had a daughter and I fell in Love. Hopelessly. Shamelessly. It wasn’t until Amelie arrived that I realised that she was all my dreams come true and more. I looked at her in wonder and I realised “My god, I’ve been waiting my whole life for you! And here you are. What did I do to deserve you?” And I think that every day.

I think I'm meant to tag 5 more people...although it looks like many have been tagged already so apologies if you have.

Amelie and Atticus
Stuff about Stuff
Good Golly Miss Molly
Eat Play Bond
14 Fir Street

6 comments:

  1. How absolutely beautiful!

    Do you know, I studied one year of law & pulled out. We had really uninspiring lecturers who talked at you, or really, just talked into the palm of their hand, & I just lost interest.

    I think when you're 17 & trying to pick a university degree that you'll do for the rest of your life, well, it's a big job.

    But I truly believe everyone finds what they're meant to do eventually :)

    How you described your love for Amelie made my heart MELT!

    Oh, & I also suffer a very common mispronunciation of my name, I'm Cherie with a C, pronounced she-ree. But I mostly get sherry or cherry, which makes me cringe, & yet I still answer to it, lol!

    Loved learning more about your lovely self!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are just too lovely! I love your list, I like that I can get to know my favourite bloggers better by this list.

    You lived in Jakarta? My husband is from Jakarta and we go there frequently. Even though it is dirty and over-populated and the traffic can drive you INSANE I just love that place. Did you enjoy living there?

    I love that you are a talker, me too. You would never pick it though. ;)

    Awesome list Teresa, thanks so much for sharing more about your lovely self. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous, Teresa. I adore these posts - it's so much fun getting to know each other better. I didn't realise we're both lawyers. How about that! J x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I did enjoy reading more about you Teresa, very much. I think it's great that you love a chat... I am the same.
    I love running too, that is awesome you ran a marathon, that is my aim... one day! I'm experiencing a bit of a running lull right now, just haven't felt well enough to get out there. But itching to get back to it asap.
    I loved reading about your Amelie, just beautiful. I feel exactly the same way about my boys, I used to dream of them long before they arrived. It's a wonderful kind of love.
    P.S. Thanks for your comment on my post today Teresa, sorry you've been having trouble leaving comments, I got it today, so hopefully you don't have any hassles from now on :o) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ladies, was feeling a bit 'exposed' putting this together. Will have to just get over myself and pull together an 'about me' page I think.

    Jane, I am constantly being suprised by how many similarities and things in common I have with some of my favourite bloggers. You might like a blog a friend put me on to which is written (very well) by a lawyer in NY - "Lawyerish" (on my favourites list).

    Cherie, I completely relate to the name pronunciation issue - it got a mention on my 'ten things' list - because it happens daily!

    Peggy, I was quite young when I lived in Jakarta but it made a lasting impression on me in so many ways and for so many good reasons. I remember the friendly people best of all.I'm sure there are many Jakarta inspired posts about it to come.

    Julie, don't be fooled, I too am in a running lull - have been for some time but hope to stay 'on the band wagon' this time. Good luck with your running!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your posts Cha and have been reading over them and just discovered this one. Our family would not be complete without you. We were waiting for you and we love you so very much. Mum

    ReplyDelete

So sweet of you to leave a comment. Thank you xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...