Wednesday, October 19, 2011

{Part 1} My Hardworking Husband

We've been in full blown Spring Clean mode around here lately. I even managed to squeeze in a few days off to really get stuck in to the guest room (previously referred to as the junk room).

Both my husband and I have a tendency to hang on to things far too long or forever (I blame my parents). So just in that room alone, I sorted through fabrics, sewing supplies, half finished projects, clothing, a bunch of old photographs, wedding invitations and programs, pinatas, Christmas and birthday cards.

And found this.


A birthday card from my parents to my husband and a beautiful expression of how I and my family view my husband.

I'm typing this post in a beautiful new study which my husband pulled together in 24 hours. 24hours earlier, this room was dark, a bit gloomy and highly disorganised with a dark wood desk along one wall, dark wood book shelf on the other and lots of clutter in between. Despite its dark interior, I spend a lot of my spare time moments here enjoying the blogosphere and working.


In an interesting turn of events, it was my husband who I found in front of the computer on Friday night, trawling through the Ikea website, calling me in every few minutes to go through some ideas. By 11am Saturday morning, he had been and returned from Ikea and was dissembling the old study and setting to work on his first flat pack.


By lunch time Sunday, a new, more functional, brighter and happier study had been created purpose built to also house my trusty sewing machine, overlocker, fabrics and notions which, up until this point, have been almost  permanently located on our dinning table. 


After completing the study renovations, my husband in a head mistress type tone told me "Now, I don't want to see that sewing machine sneak back out here! Ok?!" 

At one point in our relationship, I might have felt really deflated by this statement but this time I just smiled. And my heart smiled too.

I have been with my husband long enough and know him well enough to translate that statement for what it really is: "I have lovingly created a special place for you to do the things you enjoy." He just can't say those words. But he doesn't have to, because he has me as a wife and I get him.

This is the way I see it - when I do something for someone, I like to put a cherry on top. For instance, if I make a blanket for a friend's child, I may finish it with an embroidered note: made with love just for you. My husband does the same thing, it's just a slightly more sour tasting cherry but it's still lovingly sweet.

And that's just the flavour I've come to appreciate and love. He may not be the type to offer (unsolicited) complements or be overly affectionate but he spoils me in other ways. His love currency is different to mine but importantly, I recognise and appreciate it for what it is - a deposit in the love account lovingly received.

Thank you, My Sweet xox

2 comments:

  1. Oh, HOW TRULY SWEET!

    That is an absolute act of love in any language :)

    Even the sour cherry type ;)

    Really, this is just so special. Enjoy your new haven xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, he does sound like a sweetheart Teresa. And WOW, what a lovely bright, sleek looking space you now have, awesome :o)
    It would be nice to have a handy hubby, mine has no idea whatsoever. But I love him for a host of other reasons ;o) Enjoy your new work station xo

    ReplyDelete

So sweet of you to leave a comment. Thank you xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...