Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Happy Second Doo Doo!

The much anticipated photos and post of Amelie's second birthday...In February we celebrated our beautiful little angel Amelie's second birthday.

My talented friend from work Terri Hanlon, who has since left her office job to take up full time photography, took all these wonderful photos of the day. I cannot thank you enough Terri for capturing all these special moments!... And starting with the "party costume negotiation" or "how to convince a 2 year old to wear her custom made party dress, lovingly made by her mother"...the answer... pretend that Daddy wants to wear the dress!

Understandably, Amelie was easily distracted from all the delicious treats handmade and presented on a Marimekko Unikko inspired dessert table by Coby of The Lemony Cupcake.

I actually discovered Coby while salivating over photos Terri had taken of Coby's treats, cakes and themed parties posted on her facebook page. When I told Coby about my idea for a Marimekko Unikko party (inspired by Amelie's beautiful blue eyes) she took the reins and created something truly spectacular! Thank you Coby for creating such delicious treats and a beautiful centrepiece for Amelie's party, truly worthy of our little blue eyed princess.


I love the look on Amelie's face - after she finally resigned to wearing the dress. Big sigh of relief from Mummy and doesn't she just look adorable!


Inspired by the beautiful party hat creations of my favourite blogger, Jessica* of Little Pumpkin Grace, I decided to try and make Amelie a coordinating party hat with fabric, pom pom trim and felt. I made the remaining hats with paper.

The little party bags were supplied by The Lemony Cupcake. Similar bags are available from Spotlight in a variety of colours. I picked up some miniature pegs with wooden flowers attached from Bed Bath N' Table last spring and so painted them with acrylic paint to match the Marimikko Unikko flower.

*Jessica lovingly hand makes the most beautiful bespoke party hats to order. Go to Little Pumpkin Grace for more information. I should clarify that Jessica's hats are of a much higher quality than my attempt (she even lines her hats in a coordinating fabric!).


"Right! I have my party hat - Party time!"

For a few weeks after Amelie turned 2, I think almost everyone in her Kindy class must have had a birthday and so I imagine there were many occasions where the usual morning tea of fruit was replaced with home made party cup cakes brought in by the birthday boy or girl's Mummy. Around this time, one of Amelie's favourite games was to pull out almost every plastic cup and plate in the tupperware draw and arrange them on her table or on a picnic rug, "invite" her favourite teddies and dolls before shouting "Par-tee Time!" followed by "Par-tee time, Mummy!"


"Mummy, grab a party hat and let's go!"



"This way to the party. Follow me!"



Birthday cake! Individual cupcakes with Marimekko Unikko inspired flowers made out of icing. They tasted as good as they looked!


...And chocolate tarts with sugar flowers....


...and miniature lemon meringue tarts...a personal favourite...

...and blueberry tarts...


...is your mouth watering yet...


"Care for some biscuits?!" These were a hit with the kids - great for party bag treats!



When Amelie finds something that is missing - a lost toy...or even a half eaten biscuit from her car seat... she declares "LaLaaaa!" A description truly fitting for this beautiful dessert centrepiece! The Lemony Cupcake put all of this together for me. I just made the table runner - the beautiful fabric is from my favourite online fabric store, I Just Love that Fabric.


And once the party preparations were complete, Mum and Dad (Nanny and Poppie) were the first guests to arrive.


Great Grandmother (Nan) seen here helping Amelie unravel a birthday present.



And here, Amelie's (and our) "adopted grandparents", Jack and June. Jack and June are a beautiful Scottish couple that we lived next door to at our previous house. They are more than just neighbours but true and very dear friends that have spoiled Amelie with presents and treats ever since she was first born. They send get well cards, remember our birthdays and even anniversaries, they take our bins out and collect our mail. They are the type of neighbours that I would wish upon everyone and the type of people we should all aspire to be - truly kind and thoughtful and full of love and grace.



Amelie seen here receiving some important present opening tips from a seasoned professional.



My beautiful Mum, very happy to be with her youngest grand daughter and Sally happily looking on.



Once everyone arrived, Daddy and Amelie took a break for all important bubble blowing until a dispute about the ownership of the pink bubble blower forced the activity to cease and Daddy to retreat inside...

...for more treats...


There was much laughter...



and beautiful birthday cuddles...


...games with Great Great Aunty Fay...


...celebratory high fives!...



...and quiet moments with Great Nan..


"Do we have time for a book?...Story Time!"



Listening to a child (with reading as only a newly acquired skill) read to another child is a bit of magic....

...and yes, while I didn't go to lengths of dressing like Miss Finland...I did adorn party hat and matching yo-yo and treated myself to a Marimekko Unikko coffee mug to keep as a memento of the occasion.



...and stories only get better the more they are read...


Time to sing happy birthday...or Amelie's version (which I much prefer) "Happy Doo Doo!"



..make a wish.... Mine and Daddy's have already come true...May all your wishes come true today and always....



The best bit of all - eating cake...after this photo was taken, Amelie grabbed another two cakes...we braced ourselves for a potential sugar filled afternoon of hyper activity..until Amelie surprised us all and started handing out a cake to each of her guests...I love this about Amelie...she doesn't like anyone to miss out. She will often go to her room to bring me a doll or teddy to play with or will stop what she is doing (painting, drawing etc) to declare "Mummy's turn!" before handing a paint brush or crayon to me...so that I can join in too.



And after cake there was sharing in each other's company...milling around the kitchen - the heart of the home...


...and spilling on to the deck to enjoy the hot sun...



...life is good my little one...thanks to you...you are growing into such a beautiful big girl...



Happy Doo Doo my beautiful blue eyed darling girl...I (we all) love you more than words can ever say!

15 comments:

  1. LOVE IT ALL! What an original, beautiful and elegant party for such a gorgeous little girl! Well Done Mummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW,that is such a gorgeous dress and hat too, thank you so much for sharing, looks like a great party was had.

    Thank you for the mention too.

    Susie x
    ijustlovethatfabric.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what an amazing party. My mouth is salivating at all those amazing treats. Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one beautiful party! Love the treats, the colour scheme and the photography is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful party! You and little Amelie look so great in your matching outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone - I had so much fun planning Amelie's party! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is just gorgeous and such a neat idea for a deorating theme- have shared it on my mousehouse facebook page :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this was ages ago but I just found your blog - what a gorgeous party! I love the Marimekko Unikko theme - very fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I LOVE this! Amelie's party was absolutely adorable. And the Unikko theme, LOVE! My parents (and the rest) are Finnish so I have been a devoted Marimekko fan since I was a kid. What I would have done to have a Marimekko themed birthday party! Beautiful, just beautiful. (You're a very thoughtful Mummy). xo

    ps...I wonder if I can have a Marimekko theme for my 41st...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peggy, I have a bunch of marimekko party hats that I'm sure would look great on your gorgeous 41 year old self!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Teresa, I JUST FOUND THIS POST! and it's LOVE! Love love love :)

    Everything is so absolutely stunning, & you are so creative!

    I just ADORE her dress!

    Beautiful photos too. Amelie is a spitting image of you!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your lovely comment on my bunting. Love your little girl she is divine, so sweet. The colour scheming is gorgeous too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! Love the blue poppy theme--I found your blog when I was looking for blue poppy fabrics for my new place called blue poppy farm! Your little girl looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Darling, That was a perfect day. You did a great party and Amelie and you looked beautiful. Love Mum xxooo

    ReplyDelete

So sweet of you to leave a comment. Thank you xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...