Unlike most lawyers, I am no Masterchef*. I have very few 'signature dishes' in my meal repertoire...but I am working on it. I am still waiting on the judges results, but I think I have a new winning dish - yay!
This recipe is a slight adaption of a recipe for Roast Pumpkin and Coconut Soup taken from Marie Claire's Seasonal Kitchen cook book. It's super easy and, in my opinion, is much tastier than your more traditional pumpkin soup recipes which let's face it, unless they are drowned in cream, usually need a bit of sour cream or heaps of pepper to perk them up a bit - not this little beauty.
This dish is also a winner not only because it tastes great but because my family are all lactose intolerant and it contains no dairy but is oh so creamy. Also, because my Dad is a vegetarian, I am always on the look out for tasty vego dishes that I can cook up for our monthly dinner catch up with Mum and Dad - so this one is getting a guernsey this month...before the weather gets any hotter (what is with these glorious 25 degree days in winter that we've been having lately?!...no complaints here..although I may shed a tear to see my crock pot packed away so soon).
1. Preheat oven to 180degreeC (350degreeF/Gas 4).
2. Cut up 1kg (2lb 4oz) of jap or kent pumpkin into chunks, spread on a roasting tray and roast for 30min or until tender and golden.
(you can substitute some pumpkin for potato if you like)
3. Put 2 tbls olive oil in saucepan (or large frying pan) over a medium heat. Rinse and finely slice 1 leek, crush 1 (or 2) clove of garlic and saute in a saucepan for 5 min until soft and transparent.
4. Seed and finely chop 1/2 a red chili (or you can use 1 red chili if you like it a bit spicy).
5. Add the pumpkin, chili and 500ml (17 fl oz/2 cups) vegetable stock and simmer for 10 min.
6. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
7. Blend soup (I use hand held blender or you can transfer soup to blender).
8. Transfer soup to clean saucepan and stir in 200ml (7 fl oz) coconut milk.
9. Gently re-heat soup.
10. Ladle soup into bowls and serve with coriander and crusty bread.
Serves 4 as a starter or 2 with plenty left over for kids or for tomorrow's lunch.
Enjoy!
* Wasn't there like 3 or 4 lawyers in the second series of Masterchef?!...hmmm us boring types need all sorts of creative outlets.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








This looks rich and delicious..a great signature dish for winter!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds delicious and I have that cookbook myself so will definitely give it a try. I love coconut milk/cream!! One of the girls at our cooking club made a similar pumpkin soup using red curry paste and coconut cream but I love that yours has the leek in it too and I'm sure roasting the pumpkin adds a whole new dimension of flavour. I'm planning on making a vegetable soup this afternoon, a concoction I put together after tasting a similar soup on our little holiday :)
ReplyDelete