We were running late due to my failed attempts to find a parking space (because of rain and our absence of an umbrella) as close as possible to the little church hall. As we approached I could hear the music already playing...the excitement and anticipation started to build in my tummy...Amelie was already clapping along and then as we entered....I took one look at the class and thought back to a conversation I had with my husband the week earlier and cursed myself for not paying attention to his warning.
Before we had received the exciting news that we had been accepted (listen to me! It's as if we've secured a place in the Bolshoi Ballet Academy) into our first ballet class, I couldn't help myself - I had bought Amelie some real silk ballet slippers and a little leotard with sheer sequined skirt and a pink Lorna Jane singlet for myself to ware with some black yoga pants. I have some ballet slippers of my own so felt well equipped to start the class appropriately attired.
I had commented to my husband that I was a bit concerned that other mothers may not get into the spirit of it as much as I would and I might look a bit "stage mum"...he just gave me a look that said it all really...but I just waved him off and continued on my merry way to ballerina fantasy land reassuring myself that only the enthusiastic, former ballerina types would enroll their daughters in a ballet class at the age of 2...and I would be in good company of other "like minded", over enthusiastic mummies.. right?!
Umm...yes, well. Let's just say that the mothers were wearing jeans, shorts and cargo pants and I, with my hair in a tight bun secured by bobbie pins and hair spray (thank god I couldn't find my ballet shoes) felt a little uncomfortable...until that is...I spotted the most surprising of all stage mums...
...a daddy!..and even more suprisingly - he was dressed as appropriately as I was (minus hair in bun of course). I think he must be an ex-professional ballerina - he certainly looked like one and I don't mean that in a 'let's make fun of the ballerina dad' kind of way. Not at all. He must have been about 6% body fat..all muscle...and...well... grace like you would not believe. To his credit, this dad...sang the welcome song, was a flower, a mouse, a butterfly, jumped in hoops, danced with a ribbon wand and otherwise made his little daughter's day. What a champion!
Once I got over myself, I have to say that it was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life - I'm serious - its the simple things. If I could have died from gorgeousness right then and there I would have. Imagine half a dozen 2 year olds in tutus practicing their curtsies (for sticker rewards), pretending to be flowers and butterflies, tip toeing across the hall to collect their ribbon wands...Amelie loved every minute of it and kept holding my hand to join in...I had sore cheeks from smiling so hard. This has to be my new happy place memory.
So will I wear my ballet shoes and pink singlet top and secure my hair in a bun next week - you betcha!
Then we get into our starting position - its all about poise.
...more... poise....and ..
...so much grace...








Ok so you made me cry! I have lived my life waiting for that magical day that I will have a daughter to take to Ballet lessons! Now that I have my little bundle of pink I am counting the days until she turns two! and yes I will dress her up in all of that tulle gorgeousness and yes I have my own ballet slippers! So many lovely memories of ballet classes! I can only hope to create some for my own little dancer!
ReplyDeleteLove this post!
Thanks Larissa, I'm so glad I'm not alone! I can tell you that the moment you are waiting for is better than you can imagine - start shopping for all the pink gorgeousness now and enjoy every minute. Yours in ballerina/pink/girly gorgeousness T xo
ReplyDeleteAmelie looks wonderful. You are such great Mum to capture her at this beautiful age of two. Love to you both Mum
ReplyDelete