Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Project Garden

One of the projects I've been looking forward to in the new house now that we have a much bigger block is starting a vegetable patch and herb garden. There is a really sunny patch around the side of the house where the clothes line is that we thought would be perfect. I figure Amelie can have fun watering her little garden with a watering can while I hang out the washing.

So we set off to the nursery early on Saturday morning and selected all our favourite herbs that we like to cook with - sage (my husband cooks an awesome veal wrapped in prosciutto and sage with butter and lemon sauce dish - will have to post the recipe one day), thyme, rosemary, mint (to add to ice cool water and also because the last time I had a herb garden, that was the only herb that survived - with no love or attention - must be a very hardy herb), a bunch of vegetables and some lime and lemon trees.

Our little bunch of herbs all waiting patiently to be planted.

I wish I had taken a 'before' photo of this space. There was a massive weed/tree growing from underneath the house blocking the 'path' to the clothesline (useful excuse for lack of washing progress made most weekends - one less excuse - darn it!) and that concrete pathway was only something we just discovered after digging about half a metre of hard soil to prepare it for the garden.

After we got over our excitement of finding the concrete path (the memory of laying our courtyard at our old house still fresh in our minds) we (I played the very important and strategic role of garden supervisor/plant placement advisor) planted the lime and lemon trees.

...And because by about 11am it had already reached 34 degrees and our 'new' pool still looks like this - i.e. how it looked 2 weeks before Christmas.
We recovered Amelie's little pool and sandpit shell from under the house and set them up on the front landing so she (and her new 'swimming' doll - thank you Aunt Zena) could cool down and keep us company while we watered the new garden.
She was having so much fun we decided to set up her little table next door so she could eat lunch while she played in the pool.
A perfect weekend....now let's see how the garden grows!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So sweet of you to leave a comment. Thank you xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...