Today I attended an International Women’s Day event. I didn’t think too much about the debate topic but as always, the women speaking were inspirational.
When I think of influential women, I think of my mother foremost.
My mother is probably my greatest role model and in reality not only could I dedicate a post to Mum about her influential brilliance and impact on my life and others, I could easily dedicate an entire blog to the wonderful woman she is.
*But today, I think a more powerful message about women may be conveyed in terms of the seemingly smaller but critical influence of my father. This is a lesson for men.
Some of the qualities I admire and respect most in my Dad is his philanthropy and tolerance. He is quiet by nature and has always listened without interruption to all views and opinions, even those which I know he is fundamentally opposed to. Because of this, I have taken note that as an exception, he will always speak up to support and encourage women. He is opposed to the oppression of women. He is an advocate for women.
My Dad worked for years in foreign aid. He witnessed firsthand the benefits of accessibility to education, health and effective social policy. My Dad is also a father to 3 daughters. I am not sure which role has been more influential.
When watching tragic circumstances on the news involving women or children, my mother will comment – “Where are the men? Where are the fathers, the brothers, the sons? They should be appalled this is happening to [their] women. How can they allow this to happen!?” I know she says this, because she has seen the impact men can have if they stand behind their women in their support, in front of them to ensure they are protected or by their side in friendship or working together or cheering them on as they lead the way.
Becoming a mother has heightened my sense of humanity and social responsibility. I watch tragedy on the news and my maternal instinct kicks in – I want to wrap my arms around those suffering, I want to comfort or support or speak for them as I would my own child. These things stay with me. They haunt me. But these feelings can be more effectively channeled. I ask my husband “Imagine if that was your daughter. What would you do?” It stops him short. It makes him think.
Compassion and empathy are powerful tools – they move people, they move people to action, they move people to act and speak for others. For others who are capable of making a great contribution if given opportunity when opportunity is lacking.
Fathers, Brothers, Sons – “Women” are your wives, your daughters, your sisters and your mothers. Wrap your arms around [your] women, encourage and support women. Be an advocate for women. You will earn great respect and admiration. You may have a profound impact on the life of an individual. You may have a profound effect on the world. That is power. Be a powerful man.
*As you know, this blog is not normally a platform for social commentary. But as always, I write this post for Amelie. I want her to know that she has the unconditional love, support and encouragement of her parents. We will always be an advocate for her. I hope knowing that, builds her confidence to allow her to always believe, as we do, that she can do and be anything she wants. Everything is possible.
*As you know, this blog is not normally a platform for social commentary. But as always, I write this post for Amelie. I want her to know that she has the unconditional love, support and encouragement of her parents. We will always be an advocate for her. I hope knowing that, builds her confidence to allow her to always believe, as we do, that she can do and be anything she wants. Everything is possible.









Go you.
ReplyDeleteA wonderful post.
:-) x
I also attended an international women's day event yesterday! At first I thought we might have been at the same one, but I'm in Canberra.
ReplyDeletethis is really beautiful teresa, and so very very true. your father sounds like a wonderful man. I think many fathers with daughters have a special gentleness about them, mine included (one boy and three girls). you write with honesty and conviction. I believed every word x
ReplyDeleteBravo Teresa, this is a fantastic post, very powerful. I have been fortunate in my life to be surrounded by extremely supportive men, who protect and encourage and empower me to be a confident individual. I have been truly blessed with a husband who believes in me and anything I wish to undertake. However, I know this is not the case for many women out there and it is so important for society to not only be aware of this, but to try and help to change it. Your Mother AND father sound like incredible people xo
ReplyDeleteYes Bravo Teresa for having the courage to write on this issue which is so important to women everywhere. I would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to the men who have supported, encouraged and mentored the successful women of today. But there are still many women who need support. Teresa, thank you so much for your kind words. Love Mum xxoo, young many wi writing this posting
ReplyDeletesorry luv, I totesy just realised I forgot to get back to you re your question about whether I ever made a spectacularly creative dolls house!! The answer is.................. NO!! You have reminded me I really must get onto that -- but hey, it did take me a year to get around to the fabric tee-pee!! If you challenge yourself to make one for Xmas, I will too! We'll have a dollshouse-off! Or something. I love your idea of the xmas theme... maybe we could challenge the creative blog world to do similar and share their results! xx Nicole
ReplyDeletea wonderful post teresa. you write very well. i work for the education union for non government schools. an organisation that prides itself on encouraging women in education. this aspect of my work is very liberating and even more so with the support of male colleagues. i hope all is well. i am blogging again and all ok. talk soon. veronica. xo
ReplyDeleteVery nice post, i love this blog so much,,, ^_^
ReplyDelete