Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Snap Shot


There is so much I want to remember about right now. I want to take it ALL in and store it forever.
Sometimes when you are talking to me or showing me something, I stop myself from doing whatever other thing I feel I have to be multitasking at that moment, and I pause, and I scan every inch of your beautiful little face.
I cup your little rosy cheeks in my hands and I look into your deep blue eyes. You smile at me, I smile at you and I take a snap shot and I tell my brain and my heart. Remember this. Remember this moment. This little person. Right now.
At this moment…
:: You have just turned 3.
:: You are in Kindy. Your teacher is Miss Olivia. Your best friend is Zara. You love Kindy.
:: Your favourite book is Fancy Nancy. It was a birthday present from your Aunty Leah and Uncle Sam.
:: Previously, your favourite book was The Very Cranky Bear. You love the story because it thrills you. You hold your hands over your eyes just before the bear shouts at the other animals and chases them out of his cave but (spoiler alert) you are relieved that it all works out in the end. I bought the book at a St Vinnies I have passed every day for the last 6 years. I finally decided to pop in one day on the way home and bought that book for 50c.
:: You love Polly Pocket Dolls. You dress and undress them. You put them in cars. You give them names like “Millie” and “Billie”.
:: You make up songs. All your songs contain the lyrics “I love you”.
:: You like to dress up as a Ballerina and dance. You like to dance with me. And I love to dance with you.
:: Two weeks ago you went to a fairy 4th birthday party. You still have fairy dust in your hair.
:: You use the phrase “last week” when you are referring to anything that occurred in the past, at any time in the past - even if it was 5 minutes ago or a year ago.
:: When I say, “Thank you” you respond “No welcome!”
:: You love to play “Shopkeepers”. Before this it was “Mummies and Babies”.
:: Your Daddy and I took you to Seaworld on the weekend. We went with your friend Majella. You both held hands and loved touching the Star Fish and Sea Cucumbers. It rained the whole time we were there but neither of you cared. It was a highlight to wear your raincoat.
:: On Monday when you got tired you told me you wanted to see Sophia. I explained that she was at school and you asked whether you could go to school too. I explained that when you turn 4 you will go to “big girl school” (pre-school/pre-prep). You started to cry and said you wanted to go now. I suggested we go take a drive and visit your big girl school. You insisted you put on your ballerina outfit and slippers “for the big school girls to see”. We bought rainbow paddle-pops and ate them on the way home.
:: You squirted out half a tube of toothpaste in the bath tonight and tried to pick up the minty green “worms” to eat.
:: It is Wednesday night and I am looking forward to our day at home together on Friday. I think we may go for lunch with Aunty Cath. Later in the afternoon, your Nan is going to visit us.
:: You discovered the “present stash” box under our bed tonight and have found a little book of stickers. I suspect you will be covered in them in the morning.
:: You didn’t want to go to bed in your cot tonight. You were scared of monsters. You are asleep in our bed. I am waiting until you are in a deep sleep until I transfer you back to your bed. Your “big girl bed” is arriving next Friday.
:: All of this, I love.
:: I love you. Everything.
Snap.
Remember that always.

13 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous.
    It really is such a magical age.
    They blow you away every day.
    Beautiful post.
    :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great post! I wish I'd taken the time to record this kind of information about my kids when they were younger. You will both love reading this when Amelie is a teenager!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha In Oz

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a truly beautiful post, how lovely to have all these memories recorded on your blog of your darling girl x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness Teresa, I love this post so much. What a beautiful Mama you are. Every single one of those moments/memories will be forever accessible now, because you've recorded them all. Made me feel warm and happy reading this. Gorgeous photo of your darling girl too xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. My gosh. I actually have tears in my eyes!

    This is literally my favourite post that you've ever written, & it's accompanied by the most magical photo.

    Everything about that photo, & this post, is her childhood.

    And what a wonderful one she is having ... all thanks to you!

    Ah!

    This has just made my night. This is why I love blogging. Beautiful peeks into wonderful lives :)

    You are one in a million xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful little girl. Has the monster stage just begun? My girl suddenly got scared of monsters when she was three, had to sleep all night with the light on, but it has passed now, thank heavens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Teresa, that post just really touched my heart, my little Sarah is two and a half, so there are many similarities here. Sometimes these moments get lost in the chaos, but I too try to stop and savour them when I can, they grow up so quickly.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darling Teresa, This is one of your most heartfelt posts. Tugged my heartstrings so much. love always, Mum xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teresa you have made me feel all lovely and mushy. I adore this post xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful Teresa! Hope you don't mind but I've nominated you for a Liebster Award :-) Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, I could cry, this is delightful. My little boy is just 3 and has just started kinder too... I need to do one of these snapshots!

    ReplyDelete

So sweet of you to leave a comment. Thank you xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...