On Monday, I was woken by my thoughts just before 5am.
I lay in bed and I thought and thought and thought.
Once Justin had left for work and Amelie had begun to quietly play with her dolls, there was a stillness and serenity about our usually busy and loud household. I stole myself away to the deck with a green tea. I felt calm but I had a heavy heart.
I sent a message to my dear friend (although that description does not feel quite right or adequate, because she is much more than that), June and I asked her how things were and whether there was anything, anything at all we could do.
I received the news we had been waiting for. Our dearly loved neighbor, Jack peacefully passed away that morning just before 5am, with his beloved June and darling girls around him.
I couldn’t possibly adequately explain how wonderful June and Jack are… were and how much they mean to me and the seemingly small but in fact enormous and important impact they have had on our lives, just by being in it.
Jack and June were there to cheer us on through the renovations of what became our first family home. They did not mind that we sanded and hammered sometimes into the wee hours of the night. Instead they congratulated us for the job we had done to restore the old house they had known for so long into a new and young home. They welcomed us to the neighbourhood.
They were there as we welcomed our new baby home. They offered advice and support and most importantly - love - to us, as a new little family.
I will always remember the year I spent at home while on maternity leave with Amelie where sometimes, weeks at a time, the only other adult I would get the chance to really chat to through the most quiet days would be Jack, who always had joyful and insightful anecdotes to share.
On some of those otherwise quiet days, I would hear the Edinburgh Military Tattoo playing from Jack and June's lounge room and it would make me smile. No matter what time of day, Jack would always invite us in for a cup of tea (although he would always cheekily follow with the offer of a glass of red, port or scotch).
When Justin and Jack would greet, Jack would always shake Justin's hand firmly, then rest a caring hand on his shoulder, look at him directly and say "How are you, Son?" He said Son in a way a deeply proud father would. I could tell Jack respected Justin's hard working ethic and perhaps saw something of himself in him.
On weekends, we would hear Jack singing or merrily whistling “Hi Ho!” while pruning bushes waiting for his beloved June to return from her mahjong club or afternoon walk, being called over to chat with almost every passer by.
Jack and June were so in love - still. Only kind and loving words ever passed between them. They went on dates and they loved each other with young hearts. With all their heart.
I feel so fortunate to have known Jack, once a captain at sea, an unlikely publican in a far away land, a talented artist, a Scottish gentleman, a loving husband and father, a generous soul and friend to all, who made our neighbourhood feel like a community, our house, a home surrounded by love and laughter.
As we passed Jack and June's house today, Amelie told me "Jack all better now, Mum."
Our neighbour, our dear friend –“Dun Roamin” - but you shall forever roam in our hearts.
Already Jack leaves an extraordinary legacy of his compassion and generous nature - According to Jack’s wishes, his body has been donated to research under the Queensland University of Technology Body Donor Program and in lieu of flowers, donations were requested “in memory” to the Australian Cancer Research Foundation
.jpg)








Oh NO! :(
ReplyDeleteI remember you talking about them, & I remember thinking, how absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
I am so sorry for your loss :(
And their loss,
But so proud of his organ donating ways!
He will roam forever, absolutely xx
P.S I've woken with an anxious heart, ha! About silly work, & a software program I don't seem to be understanding just quite yet (silly, technologically incompetent me), so I am up ... studying!
Again, I am just so sorry for you, & Justin's, & Amelie's, & JUNE'S & their family's loss!
A big loss xx
Jack sounds like one amazing man.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful tribute.
:-) xx
What lovely neighbours to have, so sorry for your loss xx
ReplyDeleteOh hun, every one should be so lucky to have a June and Jack next door. I am so sorry to hear of his passing, but Amelie was so right in a typical child's way. Jack IS all better now. xxx
ReplyDeleteOh these are the type of people you dream of living next to, bless and I hope his wife is coping ok.x
ReplyDeleteWhat an absolutely lovely post. Sounds like you were really lucky to have known him and I'm sure June will be grateful to have you around in these weeks to come. Thinking of you. x
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely post you've written paying tribute to such a dear sounding fellow x
ReplyDeleteOh sweetheart, this post did give me little goosebumps and a tear to the eye. What a sad day to lose someone so precious to your lives. It really is a blessing the way some people are brought into our world. It sounds like your family forged a beautiful connection with lovely Jack and June. You will have those memories forever, though it is such a shame that you weren't able to have a little more time to create some more. Big hugs Teresa xoxo
ReplyDeleteSuch a delightful photo too... treasure that one always xo
ReplyDeleteHi".. :-) I just found your blog via blog chicks.... What a lovely post, you k ow not many people take the time to get to know their neighbors anymore, it was lovely to read you treasured yours.
ReplyDeleteWhat a Beautiful story. They sound like such amazing , kind hearted people.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for your loss xx