Saturday, September 3, 2011

Burning the Midnight Oil - not recommended but sometimes required


When was the last time you pulled an all-nighter?

I’m not even sure that is the widely used and accepted term for it or if, possibly, I made it up. That term certainly got thrown around a heck of a lot during my Uni days and everyone seemed to know exactly what I was talking about.

For all of you perfectionist, diligent, well organised types that may be scratching your heads right now, let me explain. The all-nighter is something I have found myself doing after having either procrastinated to the point of no return or having over committed to do something I feel compelled to finish…whatever it takes. This is how I consistently spent my 5 years at Uni.

But those days of being a bumbling, fly by the seat of my pants Uni student are meant to be over and apparently we’re all meant to be uber Mummies and wives, high performing professionals with demanding and responsible roles, crafters and party planning extraordinaires. Haven’t you heard?...

Since finishing Uni, I can’t remember the last time I got myself in this sort of trouble felt compelled to stay up all night to finish something, except that is… until this week… where I found myself in that predicament on two occasions….

It all started on Friday at about 12pm when it occurred to me that the little projects I had volunteered to do for one of my best friend’s little girl’s purple and white polka dot themed party that Saturday afternoon should probably no longer have been a piled up and unfinished mess on my sewing table (my husband refers to it as our dinner table) but should have more appropriately, at the very least, have been a completed and folded up neat collection of purple items packed away safely in my car ready to deliver to my friend.

During a fleeting moment of feeling organised (probably while piling clear Tupperware containers into my trolley while grocery shopping – this always makes me feel organised…although I have recently realised that in the same way buying a trendy aerobics outfit does not automatically deliver to you a body like Miranda Kerr, buying excessive amounts of clear Tupperware containers for your pantry does not automatically make you an organised housewife) I had decided to start the party projects about two weeks earlier so I thought justifiably, I could feel confident that I could complete them without too much worry later that night once Amelie was in bed.

Unfortunately at about 1.30pm Friday afternoon, I got struck with either a terrible case of food poisoning or that horrendous and debilitating case of the gastro bug that you get only every once in a while (which even then is far too often). On reading this back, I’m not sure I even want the word “gastro” on my blog…but there you have it… Unfortunately my husband was out of town for work and wasn’t due back until late that evening so I was forced to muster all the energy and will I had to just try and get through the afternoon and get Amelie organised for bed. When my husband finally got home, he found me curled up on the sofa wrapped up in a woolly blanket feeling quite pathetic (I had reached the hot/cold shivery stage) but thankfully, he convinced me to have one of those anti-gastro pills.

So at about 10.30pm Friday night, I was finally able to sit at my sewing machine and get started on completing the purple party projects. Fortunately, what must be the longest movie in the world (Australia) was showing on commercial TV which kept me company for half the night.

At about 11.30am Saturday morning, I found myself shouting out (to whom exactly I’m not quite sure) with excitement and a hint of disbelief “I think I’m going to make it!”… And…I’m pleased to report… 8 handmade purple and white polka dot paper hats, 6 handmade personalized and initialed motifed fabric handbag/party bags, 7 ribbon wands, 3 enormous tissue paper pom poms, 24 cake pops, 16 cup cakes, 12 love heart biscuits, 500g of purple choc bean filled glass containers, 8 milk bottles with coordinating purple and white polka dot paper straws and 2 babushka dolls later, I had. And based on the reaction of 7 giggling girls and 2 rambunctious boys, I think what I had managed to deliver was nothing short of a purple and white polka dotted miracle! Phew….

Which brings me to this week…where I had two work deadlines looming and because months earlier I had committed to take Amelie to the Dora the Explorer concert on what is usually the first day of my working week, I started the week a day behind. So on Wednesday night, still high and possibly delirious from having pulled off the all-night purple spectacular…I put Amelie to bed, guzzled down two Berocca drinks and concluded that all I needed was one extra day and I could deliver on deadline number one…well, I did and by Friday (and months in the making) I delivered on deadline number two.

So having started the week feeling stressed out of my brain and not sure if I could possibly make it through the week at all, I now find myself at the end of the week feeling empowered (as in “Wholly crap, I can’t believe I pulled if off!”) and even a little proud (as in “Damn, I work well under pressure!”).

On delivering my completed work to my boss on Friday lunch time, I felt the urge to give him a nudge and insist on a high five but decided against it having earlier in the week already made admissions about having to reorganise what was a very busy working week due to a “Dora the Explorer related commitment”. Before quickly withdrawing my outstretched hand…. I determined that one potentially career limiting move was more than enough for one week.

And so I began writing this post feeling a slight sense of guilt that, after all these years, I still haven’t managed to shake my procrastinating ways…. but I also feel a sense of acceptance and justification that at least I don't give up all together and declare that it can’t possibly be done…I don’t entertain failure lightly…I trust in myself that I can complete what I set out to do, even if it at the 11th hour and comes down to the very last minute…painfully and regrettably by my own making. I sometimes have moments of doubt and am always surprised that I can pull it off, but somehow…I just do.

So are you all shaking your heads and tisk tisk-ing me right now? Am I totally alone here, or are there others that still find themselves in these sorts of predicaments?

Warning: Despite the statements contained in the last paragraph, I don’t condone or recommend this type of behavior…oh and… excess doses of Berocca quite possibly has the effect of making eye-lids twitch – is vitamin B somehow akin to caffeine?

image source

8 comments:

  1. Well done! I don't think I could have done it. It show's great perseverance x

    Have a lovely week

    Leah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are so not alone! I definately do more late night efforts now than when I was at uni. I sometimes wish I was more organised, but the single minded dedication I get when I do a night like this means there is no way I can fail - and the glow of satisfaction usually makes it worth it. But I couldn't do it without lots of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you take a photo of all your purple work? It sounds amazing! I was the same in my 5yrs at uni too, pulling all nighters all the time. I think the last time I did one, Will was about 5months and I had a restaurant design that I had to finish. I can't do them any more! I've done a few markets when I've had 2 or 3hrs sleep because I've been sewing at the last minute, but not an all nighter! Sleep tight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowzers! Legend. That's the only word I could think of. I used to work night shift for 10 years and was, up until recent months, a life long night owl. I could EASILY stay up the entire night and often did. However, I am also a bed head. I need 8+ hours sleep the following day or I am a walking nut. So you deserve a medal girl, I don't know how you could stay up the entire night and still function the next day. Wowzers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Teresa..I'm definitely in awe of your purple polka dotted passion! Well done for not disapointing those kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teresa, can I just say ... you are SUCH a beautiful friend! I am so moved at your kindness and selflessness! I hope your friend was honestly bowled over :)

    Im a procrastinator, but a deliberate one.

    I've found that I absolutely do my best work under pressure. And it goes back to university. Assignments that I commenced early were always just Ho-hum, but assignments that were done 1 or 2 nights before deadline were ... works of art!

    And this has been a pattern that has continued through my adult life :)

    Just so you know, I think you are an uber mum!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much everyone - I'm not sure I'm deserving of any accolades but I feel much better knowing I'm not alone on the 'last minute' approach.

    You're right Carol, I didn't want to disapoint the kids - especially due to any poor planning on my part.

    Pitie and Cherie, you're right, completing things under pressure does provide a focus and determination that doesn't come when you have time on your side. I should see it as a strategy not a fault. I too, tend to produce my best work under pressure.

    Ash, I absolutely have photos of the purple projects and purple party! Because I was suprised how quick and simple some of the projects were in the end, I'll post some 'how to' tutorials for making the handbags and ribbon wands.

    Leah, Cherie, Peggy - your comments are too sweet xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Teresa, You have always achieved some of your best work under pressure and you are very very organised. Can't wait to see the tutorials. Love always, Mum xxoo

    ReplyDelete

So sweet of you to leave a comment. Thank you xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...