This delicious cake pop was just one of the home baked things for sale at my office's Bake Sale on Wednesday. This particular cake pop and another just like it (which was made by Coby of The Lemony Cupcake) was left at my desk as a little surprise. Coby will be making Amelie's 2nd birthday cake and this little cake pop is another party theme teaser. Shortly (like 'split second shortly') after spying these two cake pops placed strategically on my keyboard, I decided that 8am was not too early to eat chocolate and scoffed one down 'quickety split' (invented that term - but think cookie monster to get a visual). Fortunately Coby had also made a whole basket full of cake pops for the office bake sale so the rest of my work mates were also able to sample some in flavours of chocolate and caramel..hmmm...cake pop!
To provide some support to staff who have been affected by the floods, including one family who had to be rescued from their roof, our company organised an office bake sale to raise money. There was a massive show of support - both in the number of baked items for sale and the number of people that turned up for morning tea to purchase some of the home baked sweets - the line up went out the door of the canteen. Almost $3000 was raised and there was so much left over that we were able to give 3 large boxes of baked goods to Baked Relief, to be distributed to volunteers who are helping to clean up after the floods.
Our company has also been keeping a register of items most needed by flood affected families so that staff can donate specific items in need. I noticed there was a sewing machine on the register and so I am madly trying to locate my old sewing machine pedal (one of the many things that has lost in the house move) so that I can donate my much loved old sewing machine to someone who I know will be appreciative and will love it as much as I did. My husband bought me a new sewing machine last mother's day and I haven't had the heart to get rid of my old machine since. I've had that sewing machine since I was 8 years old and still use it to sew button holes.... only because I still haven't figured out how to use my new electronic 'fan-dangled' machine which is so high tech it wouldn't surprise me if it had a setting for making cappuccinos :)
Here are some other organisations and individuals that have coordinated things that people can do to continue to help raise money for the Flood Appeal or to volunteer to assist those in need.
In addition to Baked Relief another local blogger who has been making and distributing food and water to volunteers is Beach Vintage. You can provide donations to assist.
Make it Perfect has set up Queensland Flood Appeal Auctions. On her blog you will find a master list of blogging auctions where 100% of the money raised for the items up for auction will go to the Queensland Flood Appeal. The blogging auctions show case some beautiful home made toys, dolls, softies, jewellery, quilts, children's clothing etc.
Hannah's Foundation - a charity for drowning prevention, awareness and support is running an appeal to gather school stationery to help flood affected families get their children ready to return back to school next week.
And once again, donations to the Premier's Queensland Flood Appeal can be made directly at the Queensland Government website.
When I first mentioned the appeal only just over a week ago on Thursday 13 about $35million had been raised. As of today the appeal has raised over $130 million!








A wonderful post yet again, Miss Teresa. Thank you particularly for mentioning the "Make it Perfect" auctions. I hadn't heard of this previously. It's a great idea and the handmade items that they are auctioning look just divine. I think that we should all start bidding ASAP...!
ReplyDelete