Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Consummate Part Timer

When I became a mum, I became a part timer.

When I had Amelie, I took just under a year in maternity leave*. That year, at home with Amelie, was like nothing else and to date, I regard it as the best year of my life.

And then I returned to work. Part time. And that year was like nothing else. That was the year I was introduced, actually there was no introduction, I was hauled head first, into the life of a part timer - never to return to the life I knew, and took for granted, before.

I constantly find myself trying to cram a full time workload and full time expectations of others into a very short part time week.

But I’m not just talking about work.

The challenges I associate with the term part time, I can easily apply to so many aspect of my life.

“I work part time” but sometimes I think that also makes me feel like a:-

part time wife

part time friend

part time daughter

part time sister

part time aunty

part time blogger

And I try my hardest every day not to feel like a part time mother.

I will admit that I sometimes feel like I am drowning in responsibility and obligations to others.

**When I’m feeling like this, I wish my family lived closer. I wish my husband worked shorter hours and travelled less. I wish I and my friends had the time and the ability to be more accessible to each other. I wish I had a personal assistant, a cleaning lady, a cook, heck - a fairy god mother would be nice. I’d love to live amongst a community of support, with an abundance of Nans and aunts a stone’s throw away. Actually, just an extra hand every once in a while would be nice - to help me keep my head above water – when life is like swimming in this relentless sea of obligation and responsibility.

And then other times, an extra cup of coffee will do and I can magically pull an all nighter and I feel like superwoman and I think “I can do it all!”

And I can. You can live the dream. But sometimes it is hard work. For me, there is no easy part to being part time.

Except, that is, for Amelie. She has always been easy and an absolute pleasure and delight. And some days, on some levels, the most or only help I get is from her, without having to ask or hope for. I will always remember that.

Who needs a fairy god mother when you have your very own little angel? Your precious little hands may be small but already they can move large things and together we can tackle every day challenges.


* I finshed maternity leave and started working one day a week from home when Amelie was 4months old and returned to the office when she was one.

** I know I am fortunate that I work in a profession that pays well and for a company that allows me to return to work part time and to be in the office select hours. I’m so incredibly grateful and happy and optimistic 99.9% of the time. It’s just one of those weeks and I’m just feeling it and venting– you know?

7 comments:

  1. Vent away Teresa.

    I understand: I work part-time too.

    And feel all of those part-time things too.

    I really believe in the philosophy, 'it takes a village to raise a child'.

    You are doing a wonderful job being that one person village at times.

    So much love :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh love, big hugs to you, I can hear the strain in your words and believe me I've been there... and in some ways I am still there, in some of those facets. Part time working when you're a Mama is tough, in fact I found it brutal. I feel quite fortunate that I only had to endure it for 4 months with two children, before I was made redundant. Because it was damned hard trying to juggle it all.
    I also know what it's like to be IT. To not receive a great deal of hands on support on a day to day basis. Drowning is the best description for it, because it honestly feels that way sometimes.
    The love you have for Amelie is precious and it is palpable in this post. Take care of you Teresa :o) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand and empathise with those feelings.
    I too know how incredibly lucky I am to work part time for a fabulous school and get paid well for it.
    But man, some weeks I am sucked dry.
    And I crave a Mum, sister or aunty fairy too.

    I feel like a not-enough teacher as I try to keep up with correspondance, tasks and extra work when I'm not actually working.
    I feel like a not-enough Mum when I drop Magoo at daycare in a rush and don't have time to linger.
    I feel like a not-enough employee when I have to call it a day to get back to daycare and Magoo.
    (Only to hear "I'm the last one, Mum.")
    I feel like a not-enough wife when I'm shattered and cooking super simple meals after work.
    I feel like a not-enough friend when something slips my mind or I can't return a call during my work day.
    Etc, etc, etc.
    You know how it goes.

    Hang in there, Teresa.
    Most of the time, my part time work feels perfectly balanced (in a slightly mad way), fulfilling and Magoo friendly.

    I hope you enjoy some respite over the Christmas period love.
    :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, well I am glad you shared because now we can comment! I often feel like I am in a revolving door that just keeps turning and if I dont keep up ill be spat out...on the days I do work, I do miss the mundane because it is real and 'my life'. I rely on my husband with little help from grandparents so i does get hard but it is something I have to accept otherwise it makes things even harder!

    I hope you are having a little break over Christmas because it sure sounds like you need it. Catch up again soon. Merry Christmas.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only imagine how hard it is to both work in paid employment and be a mother to a young child/children.
    How blessed you are to have such a lovely little girl who makes it that much easier. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh babe - you are not alone in this train of thought. I work full time and totally feel like a part timer in every other part of my life, including my kids. I too fear i sound ungrateful to my work as they are fantastic, but the expectations upon us as mum workers is tough - we have to juggle it all.
    BIG HUGS to you gorgeous and I am so glad your little angel brings you much deserved joy. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get you, I get you, I get you. It's definitely a balancing act and at times I feel like I am going to lose grip with the 4 million tasks at hand. But we get through, even without a fairy to wave her wand and make it work. We make it work, that's what working mums do.

    You're doing a mighty fine job Teresa, don't ever doubt that.

    Pegs xo

    ReplyDelete

So sweet of you to leave a comment. Thank you xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...