Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ice breaker, the friendmaker {the series - part 1}

A couple of weekends ago I attended a 30th birthday party of a friend I met through a facebook mothers group which she had established.

While on maternity leave and on one of our daily pram walks, Amelie and I came across a notice stuck to a local shop window. The note invited any interested mothers in the area to join a local mother’s group on facebook.

Amelie was about 9 months old at the time and I was experiencing the height of a new found loneliness I’d never experienced before, missing the regular contact with my closest friends (who had also recently become mothers) which we had once enjoyed pre-children.

I joined the facebook page that day and was invited to the first ‘meet and greet’ at the local park with the instructions to look out for a ‘big red pram’. I met some lovely ladies and as for the organiser, we* have been friends ever since.

Before heading off to the party, I assured Justin that I probably wouldn’t be home too late as I only knew 2 people going to the party (that being the birthday girl and one other mum from the mother’s group plus a few that I had met once or twice).

When I arrived, I found myself in what some may regard as a highly embarrassing predicament - I was wearing an identical dress to another guest at what was a relatively small gathering.


As it turns out, I couldn’t have possibly have asked for a better icebreaker. I immediately had a laugh with the other lady wearing the dress… and most of the people at the party. The lady wearing the same dress and I posed for photos together and on either side of the birthday girl and there were jokes thrown around about us being the birthday girl’s bridesmaids and/or back up dancers etc.

So thanks to a coincidental choice in dress and a good sense of humour, it was a great night that I didn’t plan or expect but obviously needed and relished. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I had such a big night (and early morning) out.

Next time I experience an embarrassing moment, I'll have to remember this and think how I can turn it on its head. I found my potentially embarrassing moment to be one of the all time best party icebreakers …and a surprisingly easy way to make new friends…

...pity I (or any of my new friends) didn’t find (or didn’t have the heart to point out) the herb that was firmly lodged in between my teeth all night.


* See Nat, I told you, you'd feature in a post one day.

5 comments:

  1. Oh that is the ultimate icebreaker and how funny :o) It is a gorgeous dress, so I completely understand it's popularity. What a fantastic way to establish a mother's group, good on you for getting involved. I joined a mother's group, organised by our local baby clinic. And to this day, 5 of us still regularly catch up and are great friends... usually we get together without the kids now ;o) I think mother's groups are awesome.
    You looked beautiful Teresa, sounds like a great night too! :o) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you embraced the dress double up.
    I've never quite understood why people (women really!) get so uptight about it.
    sounds like a fabulous night.
    (By the way - the dress is gorgeous.)
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh too funny, I would have definately let you know about the herb;). Sushi does that to me all the time...Nice dress, love the red.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that gave me a little giggle, but not at you rather with you. Clearly you have the ability to see the funny side of a situation. Love the dress. And I can imagine your joy at seeing the gatecrashing herb at the end of the night! Funny story Teresa. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very, very funny. And very, very brave and sooo cool of you to turn it into someting positive.

    ReplyDelete

So sweet of you to leave a comment. Thank you xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...