Sunday, May 22, 2011

Paradise is being together

We haven't had a family holiday away since October 2009 when we went to Noosa on the Sunshine Coast for 5 days. In August 2010 I took Amelie for a mini-break (long weekend) down the Gold Coast with my Mum and Dad at their holiday apartment. But other than that, the only break and extended time we've all spent together since was during the Queensland floods. Very sad and unacceptable.

My husband is a work-a-holic, doesn't take sick days (have known him to take 2 sick days in 10 years), doesn't go to the doctor (this one really bugs me. Have known him to go once in 10 years) and oh by the way, he doesn't do holidays. He is one of those 'types' that has to keep busy. Every weekend since we moved into our new house in December he has been working in the garden and taking numerous trips to Bunnings - he has worked hard, it has paid off - both the front and backyard and Amelie's herb garden look amazing. But sometimes I just want him to stay still and spend time as a family.

I had tried on two previous separate occasions to visit my brother and sister in law to meet my new nephew in Cairns but had to cancel both trips due to Amelie getting sick.

A few weeks ago, my sister called to tell me she had organised a 5 day trip to Cairns, my other sister was planning on going coming along too with my oldest niece... I got really excited at the thought of a family trip away. Well as it turns out everyone except for my oldest niece pulled out at the last minute but I was determined to go and kept my booking. I almost cried when at the eleventh hour my husband asked if we could possibly delay the trip because he had Board papers due. I couldn't delay a holiday any longer and so Hubby came up a day later. The night before we left he told me his boss had offered to pay for another holiday for us in the future if we delayed this one. I'm glad he didn't agree.

In the end I loved the idea of Amelie and I taking her first plane trip together by ourselves. It makes me flash forward to the feeling I think I will enjoy some time in the future, perhaps when she is in her early 20s and we may decide to take a long weekend away for a girls trip to the coast together. Gossiping and laughing all night, watching girly movies, eating chocolate and ice cream and enjoying being together as mother and daughter...best friends.

Amelie was like an old pro - as soon as we boarded, she put on her seat belt, looked at me and smiled and said "Hold on Mummy! Hold on!" She was great company the whole trip. Seen here enjoying Vegimite rice crackers (her personal favourite).


It was worth the wait - this is the view from our apartment - paradise!

A short stroll down the boardwalk from the resort to the beach.

Plenty of space to run!

We had perfect weather - not a cloud in the sky!

Plenty of time to be quiet and still and enjoy nature....

...and each other - bliss!
And every slightly sad story always has a happy ending on this blog...

My husband's next management meeting is planned in Sydney and Canberra...so guess who is coming along too...From the tropics to the cold down South...here we come...second family holiday in as many weeks...who would have thought!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So sweet of you to leave a comment. Thank you xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...