Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy memories from the fog

My cousin had her first baby over Easter. She sent me a text as she was leaving the hospital - she drew a blank when asked the name of her child by the discharging nurse. She was laughing about how sleep deprived she was already just 5 days in.

I was glad to see she was seeing the funny side of it and I hope in the weeks to come she continues to do so. Remembering to laugh (so you don't cry) is one of my standard and key pieces of advice for new mothers.

I only offer that advice because it served me well. Although I appreciate it's not always possible.

In the early weeks of motherhood, I remember each night settling down with Justin to watch our favourite TV shows. It felt much like the old days of PC (pre-child) except that I was now hooked up to an express machine with bottles and a bundle of extension cords on hand. Justin would make some comment about "Daisy" making her entrance. I would respond with an enthusiastic "Moo!".

We would laugh as we increased the TV volume to compete with the methodical electric pumping noise. We would laugh as we squinted our eyes to see through the fuzzy reception that would result each time I turned up the dial on my express machine.

We would laugh while placing bets on who would get to 60mL first - Lefty or Righty. There were cheers as Lefty broke a new record - 60mL in 10min and condolences for Righty who would always take twice as long. Poor Righty, she had suffered a cruel bout of mastitis which found her "owner" in tears on many occasions. She came good eventually and then became the favourite and front runner from then on.

Eventually my express machine ("Birtha") started sending me subliminal messages during midnight sessions. It was shortly after that, that I pulled the pin on the whole expressing thing. Birtha didn't say anything evil, just weird stuff. "Drink four x beer" she would say over and over and over again at 2am in the morning.

Obviously I was exhausted and sleep deprived but at least Birtha and/or my subconscious maintained a sense of humour - thank goodness - I can laugh about it now.

Do you recall any funny or desperate circumstances you found yourself in during the early stages of motherhood that you managed to laugh about then or at least (hopefully) you can laugh about now?

3 comments:

  1. Tee hee, i had sleepers so no sleep deprivation for me, but . . . first trip out with our twins, one did a poo on the way to the car so i went back in to change her, use the bathroom myself, jumped back in the car & my husband started to drive off when i said jokingly 'let's do a head count' & we counted 'one toddler, twin one, um' i had left twin two on the change table, sound asleep. So much for never taking your hand off a baby on a change table, 7 days old or not, ooppss. We laughed at the time & she's now known (10 years later) as "no one gets left behind, except ******" as her team motto. Bless her heart, we've left her behind or locked outside many times since, she's just quiet & her sisters & brother are noisy. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh & as for expressing milk (i worked when i had my first baby) i had a vacuum pump, oh lordy, i had to make up 4 bottles a day (should've known she'd be a super athlete) & i could fill a 200ml bottle in minutes, i was truly a cow, no wonder i could feed twins so easily the next time round. I spent every lunch hour pumping too, it was fine, i was the only girl in the company (oil industry) & popped the bottles in the beer fridge, classy!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This endless positivity & humour is truly one of your BEST qualities!

    You & husbie are the perfect match in that regard :)

    I love it when you find that someone so well suited, you could place bets on your left & right breast, laugh through mastitis, & just laugh at the ridiculousness that is expressing really :)

    I think I probably could have laughed a little more through my experience!

    You're fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete

So sweet of you to leave a comment. Thank you xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...