Amelie’s favourite game at the moment is playing Mummy and baby.
We have been through the shop-keeper, hairdresser, bus/train driver, bear, monster and dinosaur stage and now she is either a mummy or a baby, with Justin and I left to play the other roles.
![]() |
| shop keeper/barista |
![]() |
| Hairdresser |
![]() |
| Bus Driver |
![]() |
| Dinasour/Monster? |
![]() |
| Mummy |
This phase has come at a time when she has begun to understand the relationships in her family. She has checked with me that Nanny is my Mummy and when confirmed, has suggested that I seek her assistance in the same way she would seek mine. I think my favourite example was when she offered, “Do you need Nanny to keep you company on the toilet? Maybe she just come and hold your hand?”
If you ever want to truly know what type of parent you are, play with your child and reverse roles - It tells you a whole lot more about what they think about you than a cheesy “My mum is the best” mug on mother’s day.
It has been eye opening and, as always with Amelie, a bit wonderful.
Lately, I have been enjoying and, so I don’t forget, have been taking note of “Amelie-isms”. She has her own take on words and hearing quite grown up expressions from an almost 3 year old brings a smile to my face.
While playing mummies, I have heard what I sound like and it has made me laugh. Apparently, I say “apparently” a lot - I say “I’m serious!” - I say “for goodness sake!” and (while driving a car) I say “Come on, mate!” … a lot.
According to Amelie, I also sound like this: “Hello, Darling Heart.”- “I love you in the whole world!” –“You’re my buddaful girl" - "Of course! I’d love to! I do anything for you” –“It ok, I here.”- "I so proud of you.“ - “Good on you, Sweetheart. Well done!” – “I missed you!”
![]() |
| "It ok, I here, Darling Heart" |
When I’m in mum mode, for Amelie, I think about nutrition, rest and sleep, I think about opportunities for getting us out of the house – I seek out fun things to do, things to do as a family, catching up with friends and family and making new friends. When you’re a mum, these things are important - these things are always important - being Amelie's mum has reminded me of that*.
If at the end of the day, our children turn out ok and think we’re great, can you ask for any more than that?
Amelie has allowed me to see the best version of me.
Being Amelie’s mum is the best version of me.
Being Amelie’s mum is the best.
And for that I will always be grateful.
*I have to thank my bloggy friend, Peggy from Cake Crumbs and Beach Sand who has probably allowed me to see this stage as not just a cute phase in my child’s development but as a lesson in self love. As mums we have to remember that we are doing an ok job and cut ourselves some slack now and again.















Amelie is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteMy 3 year old Amelie is going through exactly the same phase. She looks after all her "babies" like a mother hen. I'm forever walking into rooms finding toys wrapped in blankets and then get told off for being too loud and waking her babies.
It is very cute.
That is just gorgeous Hun. I so laughed at the come on mate part. Apparently I say, where did you learn to drive???? Lol. Amelie is just a beautiful little soul and based on her words she is repeating, you are such a beautiful mum....but we knew that anyway :) xxx
ReplyDeleteOh Teresa, I actually teared up reading this post. It's absolutely beautifully written and clearly comes straight from the heart, which are always the best posts to read :o)
ReplyDeleteYou are a wonderful Mama and have a delightful little girl in Amelie. So sweet that she has now taken on the Mama role... out of ALL the roles it's most certainly the best and most rewarding :o) xo
This is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteIt's heart warming to see them model welcome behaviours - and even moreso to realise they came from you!!
:-)
This is a wonderful and touching post. Isn't it wonderful to see their imaginations grow and see how they see you!
ReplyDeleteOh so gorgeous. I used to do this with my first girl (twin girls don't tend to need you involved in play as much, unless they are operating on you as a doctor & nurse team) & i found i say "actually" a lot. She's also repeat, pitch perfect, my way of saying "really" & a sarcastic "sure". More fun than a tape recording!! She's so beautiful, love Posie
ReplyDeleteSo true teresa, the part about role playing to see what kind of parent you are in their eyes. I had never thought of it that way but you are so right. we were getting some gelati a few days ago and my 4yo girl said to my 2yo boy as he was pointing at flavours through the glass, 'no darling, not that one, you won't like that flavour', the woman next to us smiled and laughed in a warm, glowing kind of way and commented that *mum* must call them darling a lot. And I do! A lovely post, a lovely reminder. x
ReplyDeleteThis is the sweetest post, I love it.
ReplyDeleteHearing children say all those 'grown-up' phrases we say daily without a second thought really makes you stop and think.
P.S. The dinosaur/monster dress-up is so very cute. x
Just stumbled upon your blog- it is lovely, and so was this post! It actually made me tear up a bit. I have a 2 1/2 year old boy who is saying the sweetest and funniest things lately. I will have to try the role reversal with him! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, Teresa. You are so right. I don't think there has ever been a prouder moment for me than when I saw my three playing 'mummys and daddys' and they were SUCH kind and patient parents. x
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post Teresa! Amelie sounds like the sweetest little soul. You are both so blessed to have each other xx
ReplyDeleteOh!
ReplyDeleteThis is BEAUTIFUL!
I've been away, & this was just so divine to come back to.
Your little echo there, is echoing the sweetest sounds of motherhood.
And what she echoes is the truly beautiful mother you very obviously are!
Good on you!
She is divine! xx
Wonderful post. Just found you via Peggy's blog. I agree with all that you wrote here about seeing yourself through their role play. According to my 2.5 yr old, apparently I say "what on earth!!?"
ReplyDeletei believe teresa that this is one of the loveliest posts i have ever read. your little girl reminds me so much of penny and laying on the lounge like that is what she does to. beautiful words. how are you anyway? xo
ReplyDeleteOMG what a beautiful post. You get better and better. Thanks for sharing xx
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful T - I almost had tears of laughter reading 'come on mate!' - 'apparently' that's something I say whilst driving too :) xo
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful reflection Teresa. I too think I am my best as Tristan's mum, and it's a role I relish in and enjoy more than anything else.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy sweetness. xo